Wednesday 18 September 2013

Me and my Shadow

   In the mid to late 1980's I craved a a guitar that would help facilitate the area of guitar that I wanted to explore. It wasn't until 1992 that I found a guitar that had the quality and features and at a price that I could afford, this was the Shadow 2eq5 s120. I could only afford this guitar as there was a special deal on it in which I was able to purchase it at almost half price. It was part of a batch that was used for music   exhibitions, though this guitar hadn't been used.
  










The guitar itself  had a very flat wide neck (almost the same as a classical guitars) but the neck was also very thin which facilitates the ability for quick playing. The neck is made from rock maple wood with a lovely dark rosewood fret board on top with pearl fret markers and fitted with jumbo frets
  The guitar hardware was made by Schaller which provided the best quality tuners and Floyd Rose tremolo system.












The major feature of the guitar was the pickups. These consist of graphic equilisers built onto the pickups which then emulate any guitar pickup ever built and enables the user to produce his or her own sounds.


                   





                                                                   
                                                 





 The body is made of basewood which I stripped of its original paint job which was a deep red. The paintwork over time  had cracked badly plus I was never fond of the colour and much preferred a wood finish.                                                                                               
                                                                                              








The wood finish that I went with was a Mahogany satin stain.











 
            
After putting the guitar back together,I had the electrics
serviced with worn out parts replaced.

 

                            Above is me playing my composition "On Dorset downs".

   Though a bit of a rarity as guitars go these days, and in the heyday of the go faster guitar, the Shadow make went under the radar. The pickups that are manufactured by Shadow still thrive. I've seen the guitars second hand go for as little as £100 bucks !Which is a bargain. The quality of these guitars are immense compared to vastly more expensive makes.(I've pretty much played all makes of guitar made for the technical minded muso)   These guitars more than hold their own.

                           Many thanks for taking the time out to read my blog,
                                         
                                                   Cheers Riche:@))




No comments:

Post a Comment